Okay, so I am clearly not a food photographer, especially with the camera and editing issues I’ve been having. But trust me, this one looked way better in person and it’s delicious. It is one of my go-to meals year round whenever I need dinner in a hurry or I don’t want to turn the oven on. A meal the whole family will eat, in less than 15 minutes? I’m so there. It’s too easy to even call a recipe, but here goes:
BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad
1/2-1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, depending on amount of chicken used
Chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
Your favorite salad fixings (I used lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onions)
1/2-1 cup of corn, cooked and cooled
Shredded Cheese (I used the 4 cheese blend here)
1. In a medium to large saucepan, heat up enough BBQ sauce over medium high heat to coat the chicken. For a family of 4, I find that 1/2 a cup is generally plenty.
2. When the sauce is warm, add in the chicken, stirring occasionally, until cooked through. For bite sized pieces, this is usually 10 minutes, but do check a piece for doneness before you take the chicken off the stove.
3. While the chicken is cooking, cook the corn, and prepare the salad. I like to put it in a ring around the outside of the platter, and then leave a space in the center for the chicken. This way the heat of the chicken won’t wilt your lettuce.
4. When the corn is cooked, run it under cold water for a bit and then drain thoroughly. Sprinkle the corn on top of the salad.
5. Top the corn and salad with cheese.
6. When the chicken is done, put it in the center of the salad and serve with Ranch dressing.
7. Optional: If you want to be a little bad, this salad also works great with fried onion strips, tortilla strips or chips, or croutons.
The nice thing about this salad is you can make it as healthy or as naughty as you’d like. I find the salad is satisfying the way it is, so I just use a tiny bit of dressing to give it a little zest. But the combination of flavors really works well together.