Monday, February 24

sneak peek

I hinted about this last year, and it is finally almost done.  The kitchen makeover.   Here is the before:

002 photo_1

Yes, those are four different finishes/colors.  Kind of tragic, no?  I cannot even bear to show you the whole thing.   I was the definitely the owner of the darkest, ugliest kitchen in town. (It’s hard to tell from these photos, but this is the sunniest time of day, with all the lights on.) Seriously.  I would watch House Hunters on TV and be talking at the women who were complaining about the kitchens, saying I would kill for that kitchen.  Mine was largely faux.  Faux everything.  Faux wood everywhere except for the doors, and some of the trim.  Yes, some.  It was a hodgepodge.   Not to mention seven layers of linoleum and vinyl and the faux brass pseudo-Bavarian door handles. 

photo_3

The only reason we didn’t replace it sooner is because it was pretty new when we bought the house, having been used for less than a year.  We spent so much renovating the rest of the house, and were just so ready to move in, we lived with it.  And hated it.

And then, one day, my husband surprised me with the news that I didn’t have to wait anymore.  My brand new kitchen was coming.

Goodbye, dark ugly faux.  Goodbye, broken door.  I’d like to tell you I miss you, but I don’t!  

Hello, solid wood!  Hello pretty happy white!  Sigh … my heart goes pitter pat for you!  (please excuse the poor phone photos.)  There really is no substitute for solid wood.  They look a lot better than in these photos and the room is so much brighter now. 

  photo_2(2)  photo_3(1) 

We went with all white, except for the floors, which are tile that looks like wood.  It isn’t grouted here, but you get the idea, I think.  (They’re pretty dusty, but I literally snapped this over the heads of the contractors while they were working.)   The picture on the right is the same corner as the first photo.  AND these were taken just before sunset, with no lights on. 

  photo_1(2)

We’re waiting for countertops, and then we can do the backsplash and all of the trim.  I can’t wait!

This reno seemed endless, and we found about 100 problems behind the walls (no insulation, cut beams, missing headers, holes in the floor … it was nuts!), but it’s coming back together the right way.  

I will post some more soon.

Have a great week!

Best,

Stephanie

10 comments:

  1. Ohhh can't wait to see the finished product - my fav white kitchen - !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Stephanie! White is so fresh and crisp and you will never tire of this classic look. Renovations can seem to take for ever but when they are finally complete it's all worth it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie, your new cabinets are gorgeous. oooh-la-la. I love the lighter color and the contrast with your dark floors is going to be stunning. I want white (or ivory) cabinets too (sad face).

    Before you install the backsplash, consider adding under cabinet lighting. I think you'd love it and it is easier to install under cabinet lighting BEFORE you add a backsplash so you can add light switches on the back walls if you need to.

    Lovely, lovely, lovely. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for your big reveal.

    Enjoy your day!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephanie
    Congrats to you. I love those tiles. Saw them recently at the hairdresser and must admit they look great and more practical for kitchen than floorboards. Enjoy your new clean white space you'll be able to take full kitchen shots now! Ciao xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stefanie,
    So exciting! I do love a white kitchen. I can't wait to see it once you've moved back into it! Always the fun part!!
    xo
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUCH an improvement! I like white kitchens too, and the idea of wood-looking tiles is very intriguing, says one who has had to replace her hardwood in the kitchen once, and should now do it again, due to water and board buckling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh at the "pseudo Bavarian door handles"! That describes them very well. I love a white kitchen and I think the white with the floor you've chosen is going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love It or List It and you decided to love it and change it! We used ceramic tiles that look like slate in one of our new rooms and they look great. And yes, there's no substitute for solid wood. We can;t wait to see the finished product. Have a great weekend, Stephanie!
    xxoo
    C + C

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Steph ~ I'm playing catch up this afternoon and was so happy to see that you are making progress on your kitchen! And hey, maybe since I'm so far behind on blog reading your kitchen is completely finished by now, eh? Fingers crossed! Remodeling is such a pain, I really hope it's over for you by the time you are reading this comment! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you went with white cabinets, it will look great with the wood tiles! Looking forward to the final reveal!
    E+J

    ReplyDelete