Monday, November 16

wishing …

Or, things you don’t know about me … about 20 years ago, when i was in college, I wandered into a little card store in the Village that had an astrology card.  The one for Libra had some cute quotes, I really loved it, so I taped it to my bathroom mirror and there it stayed until I married. Among it’s truisms:  “libras like big houses filled with pretty things…”   Oh, so true.  I was raised to what I now know to be a very nice lifestyle.  We had lots of nice things, a large  beautiful house, and got to travel – many summers were spent in the Greek Islands with family. Now I am older, married, in a nice-sized home.  I have many lovely things.  I have better than that – I have two healthy, happy children.  I am rich, in that way, beyond my dreams.  

But I was raised in a large house with some land, and I often visit these large historic homes, in Virginia, in Newport, in Connecticut and more … so I know what I am “missing”. 


Where we live in Long Island, to have a big house, you need really big money. (and I do not refer to a house the size of the Newport “cottages” – I mean just a large family home.)  Also, to have a nice amount of land you need even more money.  And I miss that.  I want a big house filled with pretty things.  So while it sounds snobbish, and against the current national mindset of austerity and saving, here is my wish list and dream house ….

http://z.about.com/d/architecture/1/0/-/C/federal02-at.jpg

This one is so pretty … I would love a simpler, white shingle style too … in fact, I think I’d prefer it.  But I love the federal style.

I want … a house with “an approach”  …

a butler’s pantry …

a conservatory large enough to have a dinner table in for a special meal with friends …

enough land for a vegetable AND a cutting garden …

over the top wish??? a BALLROOM.  The ultimate party room.  I love to throw parties.  My last two were more than 75 people.  At home.  It was pretty tight.  If I were that lucky, I would want to share with my friends. 

So while these are tough times, and the dream is far far away, it is nice to have the dream … to want, to wish, to work towards … silly, maybe.  You may think less of me for wanting it.  I hope not.  It is just a silly little dream.  I know I could leave Long Island and have all this in spades for less money than the cost of my current home.  But because I could never leave my family, and my husband HAS to work here, here we stay.  And I am happy to be here too.  In my pretty little house on a pretty little street in a really nice neighborhood.   Because even though I am wishing, I am still grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment