Monday, December 19

the party’s over …

And I’m pretty tired!   We had about 80 people here on Saturday night, and I cooked up a storm.  I have not one good photo to share, but I will share the not great ones.  At least you’ll get the idea.  I only took one of these photos, and I didn’t get a chance to get any others after the tables were full because the guests were arriving.  But I had two helpers here who kept these platters stocked and restocked and kept things coming out of the oven all night.  It completely freed me up to enjoy the evening once everyone arrived. 

First up – the appetizers…

023d 024d Cutest cheese plate ever, right?  (That platter is about two feet long, and I use it for everything!)  We made a ton of other appetizers too – kielbasa, cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon, sweet and sour meatballs, antipasto shots (individual servings of cold antipasto in little tumblers), shrimp cocktail, ham and cheese sliders (I got these from pinterest and they are delicious!), scallops wrapped in bacon, crab salad, mini spring rolls, spanakopita (spinach and cheese wrapped in buttery phyllo dough) and tiropita (cheese wrapped in buttery phyllo).   

025d

We also made salad, grilled veggies, and had a tomato and mozzarella platter with the most amazing fresh mozzarella from a local Italian delicatessen.    The main course was chinese chicken salad (I got this recipe from the Barefoot Contessa and love it! Plus, the veggies are red and green so it looked Christmas-y), filet of beef with horseradish sauce (because who doesn’t love beef tenderloin? Thirty pounds of it, and there are maybe two pounds left), and penne ala vodka.   The table with the leaves in is about 14 feet long, and it was full to the brim by the time we finished setting up.  To give you an idea of the perspective, that green platter with the beef is about three feet long.  Crazy, right?  026d

Did I mention dessert?   You may know by now that I love to bake.   Shocking, right?   I made a dessert table, but I didn’t get a single good shot of it.  But again, you’ll get the idea.  You may not want to read this if you have a sweet tooth … Dark Chocolate Cake, Devil’s Food Cake with Raspberry Cream Frosting, White Cake with White Chocolate Frosting, Red Velvet Cupcakes, Petit Fours, Peppermint Patties, Chocolate Covered Pretzels,  and Red Velvet Cake Balls.

015d

Want to know what I cooked on Sunday?  Nothing!  You have to love leftovers!   I need one more day to regroup and finish my shopping and I will be back with the rest of the Christmas decorations.   Hope you’re all well!

Best,

Stephanie

11 comments:

  1. now i am extremely hungry after looking at all the great food you had. yum. i wouldn't have cooked on sunday either. leftovers are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a fabulous night. Everything looks wonderful!

    In all the hubbub I have missed coming by.

    Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and all the best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just all kinds of wrong to see before dinner! LOL! It all looks delicious! You must be wiped out! But I know your guest were happy and stuffed.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not know how you do it. I would have a heart attack if 80 or even less people showed up at my house. I will leave that kind of entertaining to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love parties but after you definitely need some time to regroup!!! got your card today... thanks a lot, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Stephanie
    may I be invited to your next christmas party bc I love filet and pasta with vodka sauce - you have hit every favorite I have.
    Looks amazing so does your house!! Time to take a breather -
    and enjoy the season.
    Love your card!!! I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks delicious and charmingly old-fashioned.Wishing you a beautiful, heartwarming Christmas and a healthy, happy and prosperous 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Stephanie, everything looks delicious. 80 people!!! I am sure you must be exhausted. Yes, left overs are the best!
    I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and all the joys of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what can i say but WOW! 80 people and you did all the cooking, you go girl!! everything looks great and the dessert table looks beautiful, i'm sure everything was great! i hope you don't have to cook again on christmas!! sending hugs to you! susan p.s. your children are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eighty people? I'm impressed! It all looks so delicious!
    Wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie, you remind me of the parties we did when I was your age. 2 weekends in a row, and cooking non stop and working full time!
    Everything looks and sounds wonderful! That is some spread! You are amazing!
    I have been cooking for days. I just made my first ever Buche de Noel, Irish version! :)
    Another day of cooking tomorrow. Dh is in the kitchen now doing the meatballs, sauce and manicotti.
    Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas and many blessings in the new year! I bought a new Kitchen tree and the ornament you sent me is front and center! I love it!

    ReplyDelete